Thursday 14 June 2007

My Favourite Author.

“Poetry, at least the kind I write, is written out of immediate need; it is written out of pain, joy, and experience too great to be borne until it is ordered into words. And then it is written to be shared.”
–Madeleine L’Engle

This is a quote by my favourite author of all times, Madeleine L'engle and it's exactly how I feel when I write poetry. I was 7 when I first read "A Wrinkle in Time" and I've loved her ever since. Through reading her books she somehow helped me find a way through all my adolescent years, the break up of my marriage and my struggle to find God. If I could meet anyone on the planet, she would be it. (Yes, yes, I'd like to meet her even more than Viggo Mortensen so that should tell you something!) I tried to write her a letter once but what do you say to someone whose writing changed your life without sounding pathetically corny ( hmmm, probably like this blog listing). So instead, in her honour, I named my daughter Tallis after a character in her book ( I wanted to call her Madeleine but it was the number 1 most popular name that year.)

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Hello. A post!
I loved "A Wrinkle in Time". Have you got it - I would love to read it again.
I didn't realise that is where Tallis' name came from.

Heather said...

Don't you dare take it off, you've got to add more to your blog

Heather said...

cos it's very interesting...like a glimpse into your mind...ooohhhh